Practical Nursing Program
Our Practical Nursing (PN) Program is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), Formerly NLNAC. Our graduates are highly regarded in the community and sought after for jobs in a variety of healthcare settings. It is an 11 month, Monday to Friday (1540 hours) day program.
The Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing (PA-SBON) has placed the YCST Practical Nursing Program on provisional approval status based on the NCLEX pass rate for the audit year from October 1, 2015 through September 30, 2016 examination year.
The YCST LPN Program’s NCLEX pass rate is 78%. As per the Pennsylvania Code 21.162b, the nursing education program shall achieve and maintain a minimum pass rate of 80% or more of its first-time examinees during the examination year.
29-2061.00 - Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
LPN Program Outcomes For the year of 2015-2016
1. The NCLEX pass rates 78% pass rate (as of September 2016)
2. Student Retention rate 70% completion
3. Graduating students satisfaction rate for the program => 90%
4. Graduate surveys 6-12 months post- graduation = >90% satisfaction with the LPN Program’s ability to prepare for their career.
5. Employer satisfaction with the LPN graduates 6-12 months on the job = 100%
6. Job Placement rates after completing the LPN program = 96%
PN Theory Classes 7:15 am – 2:45 pm
PN Clinical Experiences 6:45 am – 2:15 pm
Clinical experience, which occurs under the direct supervision of the Practical Nursing Faculty, is provided at the following health care facilities:
• SpiriTrust Lutheran
• Margaret E. Moul Home
• Memorial Hospital
• Northwestern Human Services
• Pleasant Acres
• Rest Haven - York
• Wellspan Health, York Hospital
Classes are admitted twice a year, in January and July.
Graduates of the PN Program are prepared to complete the National Council Licensing Exam – PN (NCLEX-PN) and become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Pennsylvania.
Practical Nursing Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be prepared to:
1. Demonstrate basic knowledge, skills, and abilities of a practical nurse.
2. Participate as a member of the healthcare team to assist in meeting the holistic needs of the patient throughout the lifespan using Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs.
3. Utilize the nursing process in meeting the health needs in any healthcare setting.
4. Function within the legal scope of practice and the standards of nursing conduct related to practical nursing.
5. Be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN Exam.
6. Identify the need for personal responsibility in continuing education and the advantage of participation in professional organizations.
Practical Nursing Admission Requirements
The applicant must:
1. Have proof of satisfactory completion of high school or its equivalent as required by law.
2. Have a personal interview.
3. Be willing to abide by school policies, including policies on smoking, drugs, and alcoholic beverages.
4. Be in good physical and mental health as evidenced by physical and dental exams, laboratory tests which include a drug screening, and immunizations. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
5. Have passing score on the Pre-Entrance Examination that is required by the program.
6. Open to all applicants, although out-of-state applicants will not receive subsidized tuition rate.
7. Not have been convicted of a felonious act prohibited by the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No 64) known as "The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act", or convicted of a felony relating to a controlled substance in a court of law of the United States or any other state, territory or country.
8. No previous Criminal History Record (CHR) verified by the PA State Police. Have a negative Child Abuse Record.
Click here to access the Finacial Aid Handbook
Approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing
Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing
PO Box 2649
Harrisburg PA 17105-2649
Accredited by the The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta GA 30326
Thank you for your interest in the Adult Nursing Education Program at York County School of Technology.
For additional information about our Practical Nursing Program, please contact the Adult Nursing Secretary, Vickie Hake at: